Airforce-Art .com Home Page
Order Helpline (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Join us on Facebook!

Payment Options Display
Buy with confidence and security!
Publishing historical art since 1985

Follow us on Twitter!
Don't Miss Any Special Deals - Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
Air Force

Product Search         

A Friday in Winter by Keith Woodcock. (C)- Airforce-Art
Massive savings on this month's big offers including our BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE offer on many prints and many others at HALF PRICE or with FREE PRINTS!
Many of our offers end in 11 hours, 34 minutes!
View our Special Offers

A Friday in Winter by Keith Woodcock. (C)

A Friday in Winter by Keith Woodcock. (C)

Sadly, but two examples of the Handly page Halifax exist today - the unrestored W1048 at the RAF Museum at Hendon, and the Yorkshire Air Museums pristine LV907 Friday the 13th, a rebuild from the remains of HR792.
Item Code : KW0018CA Friday in Winter by Keith Woodcock. (C) - This Edition
PRINTJohnson signature edition of 102 prints.

Just a few prints remain of this specially signed edition.
Image size 14.5 inches x 9.5 inches (37cm x 24cm) Johnson, George Walter

Signature(s) value alone : £40

All prices on our website are displayed in British Pounds Sterling

Other editions of this item : A Friday in Winter by Keith Woodcock.KW0018
PRINTOpen edition print. Image size 14.5 inches x 9.5 inches (37cm x 24cm)noneAdd any two items on this offer to your basket, and the lower priced item will be half price in the checkout!£20.00VIEW EDITION...
PRINT Kemp / Leckie signature edition of 25 prints.
Great value : Value of signatures exceeds price of item!
Image size 14.5 inches x 9.5 inches (37cm x 24cm) Kemp, Eric
Leckie, Bill

Signature(s) value alone : £85
£5 Off!Now : £40.00VIEW EDITION...
POSTCARDCollectable Greetings Card (No envelope supplied)

Interior message reads Season's Greetings
Front image and overall size 8.75 inches x 6 inches (22cm x 15cm)none£2.95VIEW EDITION...
General descriptions of types of editions :

Extra Details : A Friday in Winter by Keith Woodcock. (C)
About all editions :

A photo of this edition of the print :

Signatures on this item
*The value given for each signature has been calculated by us based on the historical significance and rarity of the signature. Values of many pilot signatures have risen in recent years and will likely continue to rise as they become more and more rare.
The signature of Wing Commander George Walter Johnson (deceased)

Wing Commander George Walter Johnson (deceased)
*Signature Value : £40

Wing Commander George Walter 'Johnnie' Johnson flew more than 60 operations against targets in Germany before becoming one of the Royal Air Force's most experienced test pilots. After leaving the RAF, he embarked on a career in the aviation industry and played a leading role in the success of overseas sales of the Harrier and Hawk jets. Johnson joined No 158 Squadron, flying Halifax bombers, at the height of the Battle of Berlin early in 1944. On his first operation over the 'Big City', the radio communications with his two gunners failed immediately after take-off. He could justifiably have returned to base; but, conscious of the stigma of being thought 'LMF' (lacking moral fibre) on his first operation, he decided to press on to the target, using light signals to keep in contact with his crew. Flying the same aircraft the next night, the fault recurred. Reflecting that he had got away with it the night before, he stayed with the bomber stream and dropped his bombs. By the end of March, Johnson and his crew had flown 16 operations and losses had been so high - 16 crews in four operations - that they were the senior crew on the squadron. They were then transferred to the Pathfinder Force to fly Lancasters with No 635 Squadron at Downham Market. Priorities for Bomber Command had changed in the build-up to the D-Day landings, and supply dumps, marshalling yards and transportation targets in France were attacked. Returning from one target early on June 15, Johnson and his crew were crossing the Thames Estuary at low level 'when something overtook us going very quickly and apparently on fire'. They had seen one of the first V-1s launched against London. The Pathfinder force marked targets for the main bomber attack supporting the breakout from Normandy. Johnson flew as a marker against the V-1 sites in the Pas de Calais and the huge construction site at Wizernes before the bombing offensive against Germany was resumed. His aircraft was hit by flak over Kiel and then by night fighters. Despite the damage to his Lancaster, he landed safely. By the end of October, Johnson had completed 62 operations, including 46 as a Pathfinder. He was awarded a Bar to the DFC he had been given earlier in the year for his 'high standard of courage, determination and devotion to duty'. The son of a civil servant, George Walter Johnson (always known as Johnnie) was born on January 8 1923 at Camberley, Surrey. He was educated at Erith County School, Kent, and joined the RAF on his 18th birthday. Johnson trained as a pilot in the United States before returning to England where, to his great disappointment, he was sent to be a flying instructor on single-engine aircraft. After a year trying to persuade the authorities to send him to an operational squadron, he was expecting to be posted to fighters, but found himself training on four-engine bombers. After completion of his bomber tours, Johnson was sent to Transport Command before joining the RAF Mission to Australia and New Zealand to fly Dakotas. He first went to Canada to collect a new aircraft and then flew it from Montreal, via the Pacific islands, to Sydney. For the next year he flew freight and passengers between Australia and the Pacific staging posts occupied by the British and Commonwealth forces as the Japanese retreated; he flew into Hong Kong shortly after the Japanese surrender. After a spell as the personal pilot to the RAF Chief of Staff (Australia), he returned to England and joined No 6 Course at the Empire Test Pilots' School. He was just 23, and had flown 2,500 hours on more than 20 different types of aircraft. Johnson spent the next three years at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down during which he tested some of the early jet fighters and bombers. He conducted the hot weather trials of the Vampire jet fighter at Khartoum. During a test flight to assess the efficiency of an airventilated suit being developed to keep pilots cool, the cockpit heating system stuck on hot, and Johnson just managed to land before passing out. The doctors lifted him clear of the cockpit and measured his body temperature before thinking of giving him some water. Johnson returned to England to learn that he had been posted to Namao, Alberta, to join the Winter Experimental Flight to conduct cold weather trials. During two years in Canada, Johnson flew many aircraft to assess performance in extreme cold temperatures. This often involved taking aircraft to airfields in the Yukon and to Churchill on Hudson Bay where outside temperatures reached minus 45 degrees centigrade. After spending another three years at the Empire Test Pilots' School as an instructor, Johnson was sent to the RAF Staff College, Bracknell, then became a staff officer at Fighter Command. In February 1962 he was appointed to command the Operations Wing at RAF Tengah, Singapore, the home of four RAF squadrons of Hunters, Javelins and Canberras and a RNZAF bomber squadron. In November 1963 the generally even tenor of station life overseas was interrupted by the 'confrontation' with Indonesia. With detachments of his squadrons in Malaysia, Kuching and Labuan, Johnson had a hectic time, commenting that 'confrontation' became 'a way of life, never reaching a climax but causing a good deal of frustration, proving that 'action stations' with no subsequent action is extremely debilitating'. On coming home, Johnson joined the staff of the RAF Staff College at Andover, where the student body was half British and half 'visiting officers'. The close association with many foreign air force personnel was to be important for his future. Johnson retired from the RAF in 1969, having flown more than 100 types of aircraft, in order to join the Hawker Siddeley Aviation marketing team, led by Bill Bedford, the former chief test pilot, whom he eventually succeeded. Sadly on the 28th July 2004 Wing Commander G W Johnnie Johnson died aged 81 (Telegraph obituary)
The Aircraft :
HalifaxRoyal Air Force heavy Bomber with a crew of six to eight. Maximum speed of 280mph (with MK.VI top speed of 312mph) service ceiling of 22,800feet maximum range of 3,000 miles. The Halifax carried four .303 browning machine guns in the tail turret, two .303 browning machines in the nose turret in the MK III there were four .303 brownings in the dorsal turret. The Handley Page Halifax, first joined the Royal Air Force in March 1941 with 35 squadron. The Halifax saw service in Europe and the Middle east with a variety of variants for use with Coastal Command, in anti Submarine warfare, special duties, glider-tugs, and troop transportation roles. A total of 6177 Halifax's were built and stayed in service with the Royal Air Force until 1952

Aviation History Timeline : 17th March
17March1917E Pashley, a WW1 Ace with 8.00 victories, died on this day
17March1918Hans Bethge, a WW1 Ace with 20.00 victories, died on this day
17March1918M Scott, a WW1 Ace with 11.00 victories, died on this day
17March1941Former British Battle of Britain pilot, F/O F. Austin of 46 Squadron, was Killed.
17March1941Former British Battle of Britain pilot, Sgt. D. E. Lloyd of 64 & 19 Squadrons, was Killed.
17March1943Hauptmann Bruno Stolle of 8./Jagdgeschwader 2 was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1943Hauptmann Kurt Huhn of II./Schlachtgeschwader 77 was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1943Major Joachim Blechschmidt of I./Zerstörergeschwader 1 was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1943Oberleutnant Erich Stumpe of (F)/Aufklärungs-Gruppe 121 was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1944Hans Dammers, a WW2 Ace with 113.00 victories, died on this day
17March1944Knight's Cross recipient Hans Dammers of 9./Jagdgeschwader 52 died on this day
17March1945Oberfeldwebel Franz Mund of 6./Kampfgeschwader 53 was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1945Oberleutnant Alois Hulha of 6./Kampfgeschwader 53 was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1945Oberleutnant Dr. Wolfgang Schulze of 1. (H)/Aufklärungs-Gruppe 5 was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1945Oberleutnant Rudolf Küster of 6./Kampfgeschwader 53 was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1945Oberst of the Reserves Günther Jordan of Jäger-Regiment 25 (L) was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1945Oberstleutnant Eduard Kreuzer of Jäger-Regiment 24 (L) was awarded the Knight's Cross
17March1980Former British Battle of Britain pilot, Sgt. A. D. Burt of 611 & 603 Squadrons, Passed away.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Classified Ads

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email: cranstonorders at ?>

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page