FREE worldwide shipping for orders over £120
|Squadron Leader Peter Boggis DFC (deceased)|
Flying Officer Peter Boggis, at the remarkably early age of 22, was the first pilot to fly MacRobert's Reply and did so with much distinction, courage and skill. He had proved himself an exemplary pilot, having flown 15 operational sorties. He took control of the bomber and joined Squadron XV in September 1941. Boggis flew many bombing raids over Europe in MacRobert's Reply, attacking Pilsen, Nuremberg, Cologne and, in a daylight raid on the port of Brest, destroying many German battleships. That sortie was particularly hazardous: casualties were high and the trip home was interrupted by much enemy gunfire. While flying over the Channel at almost sea level, Boggis heard his rear gunner shout that there were six aircraft on their tail. 'They were Halifaxes' Boggis later recalled with relief. 'They were a welcome sight. They opened up their formation in invitation and gratefully we climbed and were enfolded in their midst. We returned in grand style.' The manipulation of the Stirling bomber required much care. Their maximum bomb payload was 8,000lb so movement at take off and landing was, at best, cumbersome. They usually flew at 15,000ft which made them easy prey for enemy fire. For the Brest mission, his last with the squadron, Boggis was awarded the DFC for his bravery and skill: his flying under extremely dangerous conditions was highly commended. Boggis was transferred to a training squadron for the remainder of the war. A few months later, the original MacRobert's Reply had an accident with a Spitfire on take-off at Peterhead. The badge on the nose was preserved and transferred to another Stirling. That, in turn, was shot down over Denmark in May, 1942. But the tradition of naming a plane in the RAF MacRobert's Reply has lasted to the present day, with Bucaneers and Tornado aircraft carrying the name. After the war, Boggis took command of the squadron at Stradishall in 1947 and he retired from the RAF with the rank of squadron leader in 1967. Peter Boggis died on 2nd June 2010.
Items Signed by Squadron Leader Peter Boggis DFC (deceased)
| ||North Sea Sortie by Keith Aspinall. (B)|
Price : £70.00
|Buccaneer S2B McRoberts reply of No.XV squadron flies over the North Sea. Designed for high-speed, deep penetration attacks at ultra low level, the Buccaneer has always been immensely popular with its aircrews. The design may be old, but the concep......|
Packs with at least one item featuring the signature of Squadron Leader Peter Boggis DFC (deceased)
|Squadrons for : Squadron Leader Peter Boggis DFC (deceased)|
|A list of all squadrons known to have been served with by Squadron Leader Peter Boggis DFC (deceased). A profile page is available by clicking the squadron name.|
Country : UK
Founded : 1st March 1915
|No.15 Sqn RAF|
On 1st March 1915, the officers and men who made up No.1 Reserve Squadron and the Recruits Depot, all of whom were based at South Farnborough, Hampshire, were brought together to form No.15 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. Initially, the new squadron was equipped with a diverse range of flying machines, including Henri and Maurice Farmans, Avros, Bleriots, Moranes and BE2c aircraft. Having relocated to an airfield at Hounslow, west of London, where the squadron was allowed time to work up to operational status, it was, on 11th May, relocated to another airfield at Swingate Down, to the east of Dover, on the Kent coast. On 23rd December 1915, No.15 Squadron, RFC, deployed to France for operational duties. Throughout its time on the Western Front, during the First World War, the squadron was engaged in observation and reconnaissance duties, initially using BE2c aircraft but later, during June 1916, upgrading to R.E.8s. The work undertaken by the squadron, in its reconnaissance role, was recognised by higher authority, on a number of occasions, in the form of telegrams or communiqués. On 1st April 1918, No.15 Squadron became part of the newly formed Royal Air Force, which came into being with the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service. With the end of hostilities in November 1918, came a reduction in the fighting strength of the RAF and, although not disbanded as a number of squadrons were, No.15 was reduced to a cadre. The axe finally fell on the final day of December 1919, when No.15 Squadron was disbanded.
It was to be approximately five years before No.15s number plate was to be resurrected when, on 20th March 1924, No.15 Squadron was reformed as part of the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE), at Martlesham Heath, Suffolk. Over a period of ten years, No.15 Squadron completed 12,100 flying hours on over seventy-five different types of airframe. Over that same period, it also saw five changes of commanding officer.
On 1st June 1934, No.15 was re-designated as a new unit, equipped with Hawker Hart Mk.I aircraft, undertaking daylight operations flying as part of Bomber Command. The new C.O. was Squadron Leader Thomas Elmhirst, who secured permission for his squadron to change the number plate to Roman numerals and have the XV applied to the fuselage on all the squadrons aircraft. This decision was to have a lasting effect and was only interrupted by the Second World War. Thomas Elmhirst also gave thought to the fact the squadron should have its own badge and motto, both of which were approved, during 1935. In early 1936, the squadron re-equipped with Hawker Hind bomber aircraft. These machines remained in service with No.XV until 13th July 1938, when the unit converted to Fairey Battle bomber aircraft. It was with the latter aircraft that the squadron prepared for war when, on 27th August 1939, a state of emergency was declared.
History repeated itself when the Squadron returned to France on a war footing, but it was forced to return to England in order to re-equip with the Bristol Blenheim bomber. The new aircraft was initially seen as a wonder aircraft, but No.XV Squadron was virtually decimated in strength following the German invasion of the Netherlands in May 1940. With the Blenheim being designated unsuitable for the task, the squadron began converting to the Vickers Wellington bomber, designed by Barnes Wallace, on 7th November 1940. This was really a stop-gap measure as on 30th April 1941 No.XV began converting to the Short Stirling, four-engine, heavy bomber. During the next couple of years, night after night, the squadron carried the fight back to the enemy, enduring many losses and exploits of valour in the process. It participated in all the 1,000 bomber raids against Germany.
As 1943 drew to a close, No.XV prepared to continue the fight with new equipment. Having converted to the Avro Lancaster bomber in late December 1943, the squadron went operational in mid-January 1944 with its new aircraft. By the time the war came to an end, No.XV was flying Lancaster B.1 Specials, which were specially adapted to carry 22,000lb Grand Slam bombs. February 1947 saw another change of equipment when the squadron converted to the Avro Lincoln bomber, whilst based at RAF Wyton in Huntingdonshire. However, by the end of that same year, No.XV found itself deploying aircraft to Shallufa, Egypt, as part of Operation Sunrise.
Another change of occurred at the end of November 1950, when No.XV Squadron was disbanded but immediately reformed with Boeing B29 Washington bomber aircraft. It was during the Washington period, in March 1951, that the squadrons code letters ‘LS’, which it had been adopted during late 1939, were removed from the aircraft fuselages. The new scheme called for a natural metal finish, adorned with only the RAF roundel, fin flash and aircraft serial. With technology advancing all the time, No.XV entered a new phase in its history in June 1953, when it was declared fully operational flying English Electric Canberra bombers. During the next couple of years, the squadron continued to train and undertook many navigational and bombing exercises, which proved fruitful in 1956 when the Suez crises erupted. No.XV was deployed to Nicosia, as part of Operation Accumulate, on 23rd October. During the short period of fighting that followed, No.XV dropped a higher concentration of bombs than any other squadron. Following a cease-fire, the squadron returned to England where, on 15th April 1957, it was disbanded.
The 1st of September 1958 saw the re-formation of No.XV as a V-Bomber squadron, equipped with Handley Page Victor B.I bombers. These aircraft were not only adorned with the official RAF insignia described above, but were also permitted to carry the squadron badge, together with the Roman XV numerals. The squadron retained these aircraft until 1964 when it was again disbanded. For a period of five years No.XV Squadron ceased to exist. However, this changed on 1st October 1970, when the squadron number plate and badge were resurrected and No.XV was reformed at RAF Honnington, in Suffolk. Equipped with Blackburn S.2B Buccaneer aircraft, the squadron departed for RAF Laarbruch, where, during January 1971, it officially became part of Royal Air Force Germany. After thirteen years service with the squadron, the Buccaneers were replaced with Panavia Tornado, swing-wing, bombers. On 1st September 1983, No.XV became the first RAF Squadron in Germany to be equipped with this type of aircraft. During the latter quarter of 1990, No.XV had deployed two flights, totalling twelve crews, to Muharraq Air Base, on Bahrain Island, in readiness for operations against the Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. During the following conflict, two aircraft crewed by XV Squadron personnel were shot down, resulting in the loss of Flt Lt Stephen Hicks and the capture of Flt Lts John Peters, John Nichol and Rupert Clark.
The squadron returned to RAF Laarbruch at the end of March 1991, where a number of awards, for service in the Gulf War were announced. Wing Commander John Broardbent was awarded a Distinguished Service Order, whilst Sqn Ldr Gordon Buckley and Sqn Ldr Nigel Risdale were both awarded Distinguished Flying Crosses. Senior Engineering Officer S/L Rob Torrence was awarded the Member of the British Empire. Following disbandment in January 1992, No.XV was reformed a few months later on 1st April, at RAF Honnington, where it took on the role of the Tornado Weapons Conversion Unit. It was also granted the status of a Reserve Squadron. No.XV (R) Squadron remained at Honnington until 1st November 1993, when it re-located to RAF Lossiemouth, Moray, Scotland. During January 1998, it was re-designated as the Tornado GR1 Operational Conversion Unit and equipped with the up-graded Tornado GR4 variant. In 2011, just four years away from its 100th anniversary, No.XV (R) Squadron still operates from RAF Lossiemouth, providing refresher crews and new crews to the front line squadrons.
Text by kind permission of Martyn Ford Jones
|Aircraft for : Squadron Leader Peter Boggis DFC (deceased)|
|A list of all aircraft associated with Squadron Leader Peter Boggis DFC (deceased). A profile page including a list of all art prints for the aircraft is available by clicking the aircraft name.|
Manufacturer : Short
Production Began : 1939
Number Built : 2381
The Royal Air Force's first four engined monoplane Bomber, the Short Stirling first flew in May 1939 and entered front line service in August 1940 with no. 7 squadron. Due to its poor operational ceiling the aircraft sustained heavy losses and by mid 1942 the Stirling was beginning to be replaced by the Lancaster. Improved versions of the Short Stirling were built for Glider towing, paratroopers and heavy transport. also from 1943 many of the Stirling's were used for mine laying. A total of 2381 Stirling's were built for the Royal air Force and from this total 641 Stirling bombers were lost to enemy action. Crew 7 or 8: Speed: 260 mph (MK1) 275mph (MKIII) and 280mph (MKV)Service ceiling 17,000 feet Range: 2330 miles. (MK1) 2010 miles (MKIII) and 3,000 miles (MKV) Armament: two .303 Vickers machine guns. in nose turret, two .303 in browning machine guns in dorsal turret , Four .303 Browning machine guns in tail turret. Bomb Load 14,000 Lbs Engines: four 1150 Hp Bristol Hercules II (MK1) four 1650 hp Bristol Hercules XVI (MK111 and MKV)
|Aviation History Timeline : 18th June|
|18||June||1916||Max Immelmann, a WW1 Ace with 15.00 victories, died on this day|
|18||June||1941||Flight Lieutenant Charles Palliser of No.249 Sqn RAF shot down a Mc200|
|18||June||1941||Former British Battle of Britain pilot, P/O S. J. Hill of 609 Squadron, was Killed.|
|18||June||1941||Former Polish Battle of Britain pilot, Sgt H. Skowron of 303 Squadron, was Killed.|
|18||June||1944||Ernest Joyce, a WW2 Ace with 10.00 victories, died on this day|
|18||June||1944||Former British Battle of Britain pilot, F/O R. L. F. Day of 141 Squadron, was Killed.|
|18||June||1944||Generalmajor Werner Anton of 6. Flak-Division (mot.) was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross|
|18||June||1953||Rene Fonck, a WW1 Ace with 75.00 victories, died on this day|
|18||June||1978||Leopold Anslinger, a WW1 Ace with 8.00 victories, died on this day|
|18||June||1998||Svein Heglund, a WW2 Ace with 14.50 victories, died on this day|
|18||June||2003||Air Cheif Marshal Sir Kenneth Cross KCB, CBE, DSO, DFC, whose signature is on some of our aviation art, died on this day|
Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts. Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE
Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269. Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email: cranstonorders at outlook.com ?>